We are trying to help local, small oyster farmers to be able to use modern technologies to grow oysters on the Lynnhaven River. Currently, we are forced to use technologies that were developed in the 1920's. However, a new, more environmentally friendly technology exists and we are one approval away from unlocking this potential for local oyster farmers in Virginia Beach and bringing back America's First Oyster for all American's to enjoy!
Specifics of the application you're supporting:
- 1.46% of Broad Bay's water to be populated with two thousand floating oyster cages (this would be less than 0.24% of the Lynnhaven River testing oyster growing technology from this century!)
- 4 Million+ more oysters in The Lynnhaven River in the next 24 months (we never let the total number of oysters go down, we always put more in that we take out)
- 20 Million+ gallons of water filtering power every day... THIS PROJECT ALONE WILL FILTER THE ENTIRE LYNNHAVEN RIVER ONCE EVERY TWO MONTHS OR SIX TIMES PER YEAR!
- 5 new full time jobs in Virginia Beach
- A consistent, fresh, Lynnhaven Oyster supply for every restaurant and citizen that wants to support America's First Oyster
The Lynnhaven River has gone from 5% clean to 50% over the last 15 years. However, we've started to see that number decrease again because of more protests against oyster farmers and restoration. We need more oysters in the river and more farmers to help sustain and grow this critical environmentally friendly business here in Virginia Beach... and, the whole world needs to know that America's First Oyster is back!