HOLSTON ARMY AMMUNITION PLANT/BAE IS OPEN BURNING EXPLOSIVE WASTE AND ITEMS CONTAMINATED WITH EXPLOSIVES SUCH AS PLASTICS, RUBBER, AND CONSTRUCTION DEMOLITION DEBRIS IN KINGSPORT, TN. THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES TO OPEN BURNING AND HOLSTON SHOULD USE THEM.
We are asking federal legislators to do the following:
1. Acknowledge that it is important for the community that open burning at Holston Army Ammunition Plant cease as soon as possible.
2. Be committed to assisting in the acquisition of appropriate, timely funding for Holston's implementation of alternative technologies. This would include ensuring that Holston's funding requests are complete and are made as soon as reasonably possible, obtaining copies of those requests and contacting the chain of command and other individuals who are responsible for approving funding requests to insure that Holston's requests are being processed in an expedited manner.
3. Aid the community by helping us receive more timely, accurate and complete information from the Department of Defense regarding their efforts to use alternative treatment technologies at Holston.
4. Meet with other members of Congress who are committed to ending open burning, assist them with their efforts, and ask them to help end the practice at Holston.
5. Contact the Governor of Tennessee and state legislators and request that they also engage and provide assistance with the objectives stated above.
6. Be willing to receive information from us and become more familiar with our situation and the hurdles we have faced in trying to rectify it.