Our hearts are broken at the news of yet another devastating school shooting
, this time at the Covenant School in Nashville, Tennessee. Young children, from preschoolers to sixth graders, had their safety ripped away in a hail of bullets. Three children and three adults lost their lives.
This is just the latest in an unending pattern of gun violence in the United States -- this is the country's 129th mass shooting this year alone. Sign to tell our nation's lawmakers that enough is enough. We need comprehensive gun control now.
We cannot stand idly by while the lives of children are snuffed out in the very places where they should feel safest. We cannot look away as educators are gunned down in their places of work.
If the unbearable weight of grief and anguish carried by the families of victims isn't the force that finally drives our lawmakers to enact meaningful change in our nation's gun laws, what in the world will it take?
We demand that the U.S. Congress take immediate, decisive action to enact comprehensive gun control legislation that includes:
- Universal background checks for all gun purchases, closing the "private sale" and "gun show" loopholes
- A ban on the sale and possession of high-capacity magazines and military-style assault weapons
- The implementation of a federal red flag law, empowering families and law enforcement to temporarily remove firearms from those deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.
- Strict regulation of online gun sales and the proliferation of untraceable "ghost guns"
- Funding for research into the root causes of gun violence and effective prevention strategies
The time for empty words and political posturing is over. We demand that Congress summon the courage to face down the gun lobby and make the safety of our nation's children its top priority.
Let the tragedy at the Covenant School in Nashville be the catalyst for the change we so desperately need. We cannot afford to lose another innocent life to gun violence.Stand with us in our grief, and honor the memory of those lost by calling for the passage of stringent gun control legislation that will protect our children and our future. Sign the petition now.