Show Your Support for Innovative Connectivity in California
The California Legislature recently passed two important local reform bills that will cut red tape and streamline the local process for deploying reliable high-speed wireless broadband connectivity throughout California, Senate Bill No. 556 (SB-556), by Senator Bill Dodd (D-Napa) and Assembly Bill No. 537 (AB-537) by Assemblymember Bill Quirk (D-Hayward). Both bills passed by large, bipartisan majorities and are on Governor Newsom's desk awaiting his signature to become law. As the COVID-19 pandemic has proven, access to reliable broadband connectivity is more important today than ever before, and these two bills will enable the swift and safe deployment of ultra-fast wireless service throughout California. That includes traditional "mobile" wireless services that go where you go and new "fixed" wireless solutions for home and small businesses. This will be a game changer for families and small businesses whose broadband access options are limited or nonexistent. Communities across the state increasingly rely on these innovations to connect kids to the classroom, power the local economy, and provide government and healthcare services – but all of this is only possible in areas that have a robust and reliable communications network. The digital economy is rapidly changing, and the state of California can be at the forefront of these advancements. If you want expanded connectivity and innovation in your community, your voice is critical right now.
Game-changing wireless speeds are just around the corner. Imagine students and faculty at all grade levels, including at University of California campuses, having the ability to "interact" with atoms from their virtual classroom using VR/AR technology or medical professionals at UCLA Medical Center leveraging 3-D scans to better treat patients. But 5G isn't just the next "G" in your phone — it's a revolutionary technology on par with the advent of electric power a century ago.
And just like a century ago, 5G's greatest breakthroughs have yet to be imagined.
But to make all this a reality and make California a connected state, Governor Newsom needs to know there's widespread public support for SB-556 and AB-537. These bills are necessary to implement the governor's historic $6 billion investment in broadband. No amount of money can solve the digital divide without also being paired with reform on the ground.
We are a state full of visionaries, creators, teachers and innovators, we face our challenges head on and work to find bold solutions. To build momentum to bring this cutting-edge technology to residents and businesses throughout the state, it's important your leaders see letters of support from community members like you.
Greater coverage and capacity will help ensure our future is connected. Tell Governor Newsom that you support SB-556 and AB-537 in order to help connect California communities and open up new ways for us to live, learn, work, and play.
Sign PetitionSign Petition
Dear Governor Newsom,
As a California resident, I'm writing to express my support for SB-556 and AB-537, companion bills that will adopt critically needed local reforms and accelerate deployment of high-speed wireless network infrastructure and innovation throughout California. This is essential as people increasingly rely on wireless connectivity for virtually every communication and broadband access need they have, including telehealth, distance learning, accessing 911 and public safety and working from home. SB-556 and AB-537 will expand broadband access and increase wireless broadband deployment, including fixed wireless solutions for homes and small businesses, and help close the digital divide.
These bills are necessary to make your historic $6 billion investment in broadband a reality. No amount of money can solve the digital divide without also being paired with reform on the ground.
The benefits to people who live and work in California, to local businesses and to the entire population are immense:
- 5G will make education more accessible and interactive — Students will be able to transform their learning opportunities at all grade levels, including at UC campuses, with digital learning applications, AR and VR experiences, and cloud technologies.
- 5G will supercharge local job growth — With the potential to attract new businesses, it's estimated 5G will create more than 736,000 jobs in California with an estimated growth of over $316 billion to our local economy.
- 5G will improve city services, transportation and public safety —First responders will be able to coordinate faster, sharing vital emergency information in real-time. Smart pavement and traffic lights will reduce congestion.
- 5G will lower health care costs while elevating care — Virtual healthcare will be raised to new levels, and remote care will be made even more effective and accessible to those who need it most.
- 5G research will spark further innovation — The development and testing of 5G-enabled solutions will help drive and expand the use cases for 5G from machine learning and IoT to robotics, AI, and more.
Please continue to do everything you can to champion expanded broadband infrastructure and connectivity in California by signing bill SB-556 and AB-537. Thank you for following through on your vision by continuing to keep California at the forefront of global digital leadership, innovation, and equity.