613 NW 7th Street Road (The location)
The Seybold family’s carriage house was previously located on the property that we would like to create a butterfly garden at. The carriage house was donated to the city for restoration. Years passed and the carriage house was demolished last year because of the condition it was in. The site is located in a historic single-family residential neighborhood. The city had created a plan to build a building presented as a meeting house. We do not want a public concrete building in the middle of our residential neighborhood.
Tell the city of Miami and the Miami Parks Department to GO GREEN and support our plans to create a native butterfly garden before the building plans are presented to the City of Miami HEP Board for approval on Tuesday May 5th, 2015!
Spring Garden History (courtesy of Wiki):
The area was first settled in the early 1840s when William English established a coontie starch mill in the area in the 1840s. By the 1850s, William Wagner and a business partner reestablished a coontie mill on a Miami River tributary, which would be named after Wagner. A freshwater spring was found on the tributary in the area, which caused Henry Flagler to build the private Miami Water Company (where a Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Treatment plant is currently located) there in 1899.
By 1918, German-born Miami industrialist John Seybold dredged the Wagner Creek and constructed a turning basin in the creek, prompting area officials to rename the creek "Seybold Canal" in his honor; Seybold purchased and platted the peninsular plot of land immediately south of North 11th Street between the River and Creek for private, residential development, advertising it as one of Miami's premier housing communities into the Florida land boom of the 1920s. In 1997 Spring Garden was designated an official historic district.