The Chicago Police Department runs an off-the-books interrogation site where police detainees have been brutalized and denied their Constitutional rights, according to an explosive new report by The Guardian.
The report, published Feb. 24, alleges abuses of detainees at Homan Square that include:
* Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
* Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
* Shackling for prolonged periods.
* Denying attorneys access to the "secure" facility.
* Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.
If proven true, these allegations represent a fundamental violation of American law and international human rights. They also demonstrate a deeply troubling lack of accountability for the staff and leadership of one of the largest law enforcement entities within the United States.
The world deserves the truth about what is happening at this facility and the people of Chicago deserve justice. Please Urge the US Attorney General to launch a full and impartial investigation of potential abuse and rights violations at Homan Square immediately.