Save the Old Villa Rica Library (Oldest International Style Building in West Georgia)
The Old Villa Rica Library (1951) is the oldest International style architecture in West Georgia. It is eligable for the National Register of Historic Places. Currenlty the City of Villa Rica would like to tear it down for unneeded parking or greenspace. Details on parking information and value of the site is available at the URL and petition body.
Sign PetitionSign Petition
We the undersigned would like the City of Villa Rica to save the historically valuable Old Library (also known and the Clinic). This 1951 the International style building was built to be the new city library. It is significant as the earliest International style building in West Georgia. This structure predates the old Douglas Courthouse which is on the National Register of Historic Places by about 6 years. It is a cornerstone for a future National Register Historic District south of the tracks. Saving the structure demonstrates a belief in historic preservation which will be favorable to the goal of becoming a Main Street City.
The library can be renovated with grants for preservation of this locally valuable resource. It can be continued to be used for a medical clinic and community services or can be a good site for a museum that focus on the downtown area or the development of the importance of Bankhead Highway. Parking can be expanded with re-striping East Wilson Street and Westview with angular parking. Approximately 80 spaces will be added with Train Station Park on the north side of the tracks adding more parking to the down town area. This does not count the potential parking on the recently purchased Avanti Motor Company property
Please preserve this valuable piece of modern architecture for future generations.