One of the easiest ways to poison pets, and children, is with antifreeze. According to the HSUS, 1,400 children and 10,000 dogs and cats die from antifreeze poisoning per year.
A dose of antifreeze as small as a teaspoon can mean death for animals and children, and the sweet taste makes this toxic substance especially easy to disguise and ingest. This easy poisoning leads to tragic, unnecessary death. But there's something we can do to stop it.
An Ohio bill, H.B.96, would require a bitter taste to be added to antifreeze that has over 10 percent ethylene glycol so that it is not as appetizing for unsuspecting children and animals. Violations for packagers, distributors, recyclers, and vendors who don't comply would include misdemeanor charges and a $1000 fine. And this life-saving law would only cost 2-3 more cents per gallon.
Help save the lives of countless children and animals who die from antifreeze poisoning. Tell the Ohio governor to support H.B. 96 so that Ohio can be a catalyst for this revolutionary idea. Hopefully, as more states catch on, children and animals will no longer suffer early deaths from antifreeze poisoning.