Oppose the Killing of Cats
In the U.S., more cats are intentionally killed than die of any other cause. But this doesn't have to be the case. Virtually every feral cat that enters a shelter or animal control facility is killed. The very system that is supposed to care about the welfare of animals is, in fact, subjecting them to a ruthless policy of extermination.
Sign PetitionSign Petition
Funded by taxpayer dollars, these inhumane programs do not effectively control cat population growth. Only one method - Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) - does.
Feral cats are born outdoors and have not been socialized. Uncomfortable around humans, they will never be comfortable living in human homes. They make homes in colonies wherever they can find food, be it in alleys or under a boardwalk. On their own without human intervention, breeding is not controlled and their numbers steadily increase.
All cats, even those born outside and having never lived with a human family, should be allowed to live the lives they deserve - outdoors, happy, healthy and prevented from becoming part of an endless cycle of breeding.
Pledge that you want the killing of feral cats to stop, then learn about the TNR method and how you can take personal action to help these cats.
I pledge to do one or more of the following:
- Call my Mayor and urge her or him to support TNR for feral cats in my town.
- Learn more about humane management of feral cat colonies by receiving information from Alley Cat Allies.
- Share what I have learned with my family and friends, so that they can also help protect feral cats.
- Become a feral cat caregiver and learn the humane Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) technique.
- Talk to my veterinarian about providing low cost spay/neuter services for feral cats.
- Write a letter to the editor of my local newspaper.