BUILD THE TRAIL & SAVE THE TRACKS
We support keeping the current, award winning, 32 mile Rail with Trail Plan of which one-fourth, that’s 8 full miles of trail, is scheduled to open in 2018.
Changing the current plan to needlessly remove the tracks will delay the trail for many years and risk losing millions of dollars of already committed matching funds. With population growing and traffic worsening, saving the tracks for an environmentally sustainable, mass transit system in the future is just plain smart!
As the current plan demonstrates, there is ample room for a world-class trail alongside the existing tracks. The current rail with trail plan was adopted in 2014 after many years of public input, discussion and planning. The current plan is endorsed by every level of government. Check out the current plan by clicking here.
Preserving the option for quiet, clean, passenger rail service in the future is the best long-term response to the overloaded highway and congested surface streets. Passenger rail service has many advantages including:
· Significant environmental benefits including dramatic reductions in the greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming
· Improved mobility for everyone regardless of age or physical ability
· Reliable on-time service for commuters regardless of road congestion
· Integrates with other modes - bus, bike, walk, taxi, car share, etc.
· Integrates with the State Rail Plan allowing car-free travel
By signing this petition, I agree that:
1. I live in Santa Cruz County.
2. The already planned multi-use rail trail should be built without further delay and the existing tracks should be preserved to give the community more options in an uncertain future.
This petition will be delivered to the:
Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission