There are no bounds to the cruelty the dairy industry inflicts
on the animals they exploit. Here are just a few of the hardships dairy victims face:
- Overbreeding: Selectively bred for excessive milk production, she produces 6-7x more milk than natural, risking painful infections.
- Horrible living conditions: She lives in crowded and limited spaces, chained in place, depriving her of natural behaviors like grooming friends or even grazing.
- Calves are stolen: Calves are stolen from her shortly after birth. We've felt the breath of girls bellowing at the top of their lungs, desperate to be reunited with their babies.
- Shortened lifespan: Intensive milk production causes her to age rapidly, body depleted, significantly shortening her life. Her male calves, considered by- products, might last just minutes or several months, as a veal calf.
- Cruel end: Then, when she's no longer profitable, she faces a gun to the head or multiple legs of punishing transportation to ultimately end up slaughtered for low-grade hamburger.
Skylands Animal Sanctuary and Rescue has been rescuing victims of the dairy industry for over a decade – each one is a unique individual. Some are bold, others shy. Some are pushy, others gentle. Some are funny, others thoughtful. But they are all fantastic and don't deserve the short, miserable life
they were destined to have. No one does.
Sign now and join us in our pledge to:
- Raise awareness: Educate ourselves and others about dairy's ethical, environmental, and health implications.
- Advocate for change: Urge policymakers to stop subsidizing cruelty and pushing dietary recommendations driven by Big Dairy lobbyists.
- Lead by example: Embrace a dairy-free diet and inspire others to do the same.
Skylands has rescued hundreds of dairy survivors over the years, ranging from newborn calves, just minutes old, to females who have served dairy for many years. Currently, 81 call the sanctuary home. On their behalf, thanks for stepping up as an animal defender.