Sign the Declaration to Sue Big Oil.
For decades, oil and gas corporations have known that burning fossil fuels would cause the heat waves, wildfires, drought and flooding that we're now experiencing in BC. These multinational companies spent millions to deceive, deny and distract us on their way to billions in profit by preventing action on climate change.
It's not right that CEOs and investors continue to pocket the profits while our communities pay the skyrocketing costs of climate damages. We must force oil and gas corporations to change their business practices and pay their fair share for the harm they're causing.
How do we pay for a safer and healthier future for all British Columbians? Let's sue Big Oil. We call on our local governments to:
- Act urgently to tackle climate change and protect us from future heat waves, flooding, wildfires and other climate impacts;
- Join with other local governments to file a class action lawsuit to recover a fair share of our climate costs;
- Allocate at least $1 per person towards a community fund to sue Big Oil;
- Build equitable and sustainable communities that put people and the planet before corporate profits; and
- Cooperate with Indigenous peoples in doing so.